Friday, December 28, 2012

In which we host Christmas lunch and the cows get busy...

 
This was our first Christmas in our new house, so I was so excited to be able to host Christmas lunch with our extended families.  As I mentioned yesterday, there were some extensive house building projects that we rushed to complete a few days before.  I won't lie, it was a little stressful trying to pull it altogether in time but I'm so glad we did.

Each family brought with it some of their own traditions, those quirky little elements without which it wouldn't seem like a true christmas… the Mr.'s family brought prawns, nut loaf and 'Switched on Christmas' (an iconic christmas record from the 80s which is probably best described as traditional christmas meets xanadu and was most likely written by someone tripping on acid).  My family contributed cheezles and setting the pudding on fire.  My sister-in-law's family brought homemade christmas crackers and an enthusiasm for the cheesy jokes found within.  And last but not least my unofficial pseudo sister-in-law brought along the 'polar bears jacket' (see this post for an explanation) and Russian Christmas cake (for which I am developing an unhealthy obsession!)  I loved that this year's celebration was a melting pot where all these christmases could come together.

We ate way too much food, drank sangria and enjoyed great conversation while we watched the cows over the back fence mating.  I hope everyone enjoyed the day as much as I did!

 
Hydrangeas from mum's garden lined the table in little tin pots from ikea.   Thrifted glass jars with red striped paper straws supplemented my lack of glassware!
 
Silver spray painted pine cones were scattered near my tarnished antique candelabra.
 
The kid's table was covered with brown paper so they could get creative doodling while they ate!
 
I loved our tree so much this year!  The smell of pine is amazing.  Don't even ask why the Mr. has a sock on his head!!
 
I strung ruffled crepe paper streamers and a garland made from patty pans above the talbes.
 
One of Minty's favourite gifts this year was a bug catcher.
You can see a little peek of our new timber bench top on the left.  I promise I'll do a proper house update soon!

5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous Christmas, how nice it would be to have such a full house for the day (not sarcasm I think Christmas is better with lots of people).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really festive and so much fun. We loved the day and are very appreciative of all the work and creativity involved in its success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very stylish and festive and I wish I could have been there! I particularly like the idea of covering the kids' table with brown paper for drawing (I would like that as an adult!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fantastic, i love that everyone bought their own traditions and i love the garland and streamers, so pretty. I can't say I know what Switched on Christmas sounds like, but it sounds like it would be pretty similar to the Hooked on Classics album my grandpa used to have, very classy :)

    ReplyDelete