Tuesday, June 1, 2010

in which we eat peanut butter in dusty robes...


Day six without a washing machine. We are officially drowning in a sea of dirty laundry. Perhaps unsurprisingly the kids have ignored my requests to keep their clothes clean so we can rewear them. A well-meaning devout member of the baptist playgroup we attend told me that God doesn't throw anything at us that we can't handle, and while I don't believe in any kind of a God that concerns himself with my laundry, I am attempting to adopt the kind of saintly attitude that allows me to take such challenges gracefully in my stride. After all Jesus didn't have a washing machine, although I'm sure the other mothers didn't look askance at Mary if she sent Jesus down the street in a dusty robe. Looks like we might have to haul ourselves over to the laundromat tomorrow.


I know I said yesterday I was going to make a pie… but we didn't have any cream on hand, and what's pie without cream?? We did however, happen to have exactly 85grams of cocoa left… the precise amount needed to make these rich, moist chocolate cupcakes (if that's not a sign I don't know what is). And because I am feeling more sinner than saint this evening I decided to top them with some decidedly wicked, decadent creamy peanut butter frosting (surely the gluttons frosting of choice).


Peanut Butter Frosting


1/2 cup (130g) peanut butter

1/4 cup (55g) softened butter

1 cup (125g) icing sugar

1-2 tablespoons milk


Put the peanut butter and butter in an electric mixer. Beat until creamy. Gradually add the sugar, adding the milk as necessary if it gets too thick. Beat for about 3 minutes until a smooth consistency.



Come back tomorrow for some highly amusing photos...




2 comments:

  1. Dusty robes aside, the cakes look really delicious - I wish I liked peanut butter though! I was going to make a fruit loaf for Friday afternoon tea but think I might try the choc cakes instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If nothing else good arises from your situation, at least you'll always appreciate your washing machine from now on! In the meantime, have another cupcake!!! They look divine!

    ReplyDelete