Friday, November 11, 2011

Pizza scrolls and an apology...


I've been a bit slack sharing recipes lately.  A few people emailed me asking for details about my calzones (back in August!!!) and I was fully intending to do a post with the full recipe.  Then I got busy and forgot about it.  Apologies, I'll try and get around to it soon.  In the mean time, I hope you all enjoy this recipe for pizza scrolls that I've been playing around with.

This is my answer to those mini pizza rolls that the kids nag for whenever we walk past Bakers Delight.  I always feel a little guilty when I buy them since I think we can safely assume that those weird little processed ham pieces come from factory farmed pigs.  Now that coles stocks free range bacon it's pretty easy to make a much yummier, guilt free alternative at home (and it's also a great way to get the kids to eat a few more veggies at snack time).  The basic dough recipe could be used for all kinds of different scrolls - you could do sweet ones with fruit or even some hazelnut spread or chocolate ganache if you're feeling devilish! 


For the dough:
375g self raising flour
57g butter
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 220C.  Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips to form a sandy texture.  Stir in the milk with a fork then knead to form dough.

Next make filling of your choice.  Here is what I used…
basic tomato pasta sauce (either home made if you have it or from a jar if you're feeling lazy)
grated cheese
1 onion diced
6 slices bacon diced
1 tbspn olive oil
1 finger eggplant sliced finely
1 zucchini grated

Fry the onion and bacon in olive oil until the bacon is crispy.  Add the eggplant and saute until beginning to soften.  Add the zucchini and saute for a minute or two until beginning to soften.

Divide the dough into two parts.  Roll each into a long rectangle (approx 12x6 inches and 1/4 inch thick - don't get too pedantic though these are just rough estimates!).  Spread the dough with a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce.  Spread over the vegetables and then sprinkle with grated cheese.  Roll from the long edge to form a long sausage shape and cut each of your two sausages into 8 pieces.  Put on a tray lined with baking paper and sprinkle with some more cheese.

Bake for approx 18 mins.  Keep an eye on them - the oven is pretty hot and you don't want them to burn.  If they look like they're getting a bit too brown too early you can always pop some foil on top.

These taste best straight from the oven when they're still warm.

2 comments:

  1. Its looking so yummm! it must be very delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice 1. I'll have to make my version with anchovies 'cause I always them on my pizza!

    ReplyDelete