Thursday, March 22, 2012

In which Turi has ants in his pants...

Ok so I made this really yummy zucchini tart for dinner last night and followed it up with little raspberry filled pastries and homemade vanilla bean ice-cream.  I took a bunch of pretty pictures and was going to write a lovely post about it today.  But then the Mr. wiped the flash card before I got a chance to download the photos and then took my camera for a photography job.  So no food post tonight.  Instead, a totally random picture from the archives to fill the void and I'll tell you about a little incident that happened this afternoon.

The kids were playing happily together in the garden.  Minty came with a cheery face to inform me that 'Turi has found an ants' nest'.  Despite Minty's enthusiasm, my alarm bells went off and I rushed to investigate.  There was Turi sitting amongst the bushes behind the washing line in the centre of a bullants' nest.  He was covered in ants unaware of the danger he was in.  These were seriously big ants - each at least an inch long.  And then the screaming started.  The kind of screaming that kids reserve for serious pain and terror.  I scooped him up and carried him kicking and screaming to the other side of the lawn.  I tried to get the ants off as quickly as a could but they were inside his clothes and shoes and as I tried to brush them off they started running frenziedly and biting.  Thankfully he escaped the incident with only five bites but if you've ever been bitten by a bullant you'll know they are seriously painful.  The poor little soul was pretty traumatised and spent the rest of the afternoon clinging to me for comfort.  I think both the kids now have a newfound respect for insects and I'm fairly certain no one is going to try and play with an ant hill again.

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! Those ants are nasty too. Their bites last a while.
    Poor little thing.
    The dinner sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's horrible- I remember it happening to a kid in primary school once- he sat on a bull ant nest, unawares...poor kid had bright red legs with welts. Never seen a kid scream like that.
    I hope this doesn't put the kids off nature for long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary stuff: sounds like you did a good job in quickly brushing the ants off, it could have been a lot worse! I remember when jb got 1 bite and was in agony: I can't imagine what 5 at once must be like: the poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was I the only one who had flashes of My Girl? Glad he escaped with *only* a few bites. Hope that you had some extra tarts to feed him to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete