Monday, May 3, 2010

Bread wars


I was feeling a little depressed about my lack of success with the 5 minute bread and was beginning to doubt my baking prowess (insecure much?), so I decided to make some bread the good old fashioned way this morning.


There is something soothing in the rhythms of traditional bread making. I love tucking the loaf up like a little baby under its tea towel to rise. I feel a little like ma from 'Little House In The Big Woods' (minus the bear).


I made honey spelt bread because for some reason using spelt makes me feel a little virtuous. This loaf smells scrumptious while it is baking!


I got this recipe here but I've simplified the method a little.

3 cups spelt flour

1 cup warm water

2 tsp active dry yeast

2 tbsp honey

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tbs softened butter


Pour water into a large bowl, mix in honey. Sprinkle yeast on top and leave for 5 minutes.


Put flour and salt into the bowl of your mixer. Add the wet ingredients and the butter. Knead using the dough hook attachment. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.


Tip the dough onto the floured bench top. Knock back and knead. Place in a greased 9"x5" loaf pan. Cover with a cloth and leave to rise until just over the top of the pan.


Bake for 15 mins at 210C (preheated), then 30mins at 180C. Cool on rack in pan for 15-30mins then turn out on rack until cool.


Results = yummy! Minty even said it tasted like chocolate which I can only assume is a good thing.

Take that 5 minute bread! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

2 comments:

  1. Looks so beautiful - it just has to taste good too. My wholemeal tastes wonderful but there is no 'Ma' moment - no tucking up - just a metal machine which looks really ugly on the bench and the finished product looks pretty ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing, yum.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete