Saturday, September 4, 2010

In which I eat cookies with a hole in my pants...


I've been a little scarce around these parts lately. I've mostly been hiding out in the kitchen. The weekly veggie box has been keeping me pretty busy. In an effort to keep our grocery costs down I aim to spend only an additional $50 on staple pantry items, dairy, and meat and then think creatively to feed us all for the week (the $50 includes toiletries, cleaning products, nappies etc. in case you were wondering). It is a bit of a challenge but I think we've all been eating really well and having lots of kitchen fun along the way. Amongst other things this week our cooking included pumpkin scones, banana pikelets, apple crumble, spinach and leek quiche, and morrocan stew. I was planning on giving you a more detailed peak inside a box this week but someone who shall remain unnamed forgot to order our box so we're back to traditional supermarket shopping for a week. It's amazing how disappointed and lost I feel about that considering up until a fortnight ago it is all we ever did.


I've also been doing a little work on Minty's quilt top. It is nearly finished but along the way I somehow managed to cut a hole in my favourite trousers (can you call pyjama pants trousers??) while I was pinking some fabric. I think I'm going to have to repurpose them into a couple of pairs of PJ pants for Minty. At least someone will benefit from my stupidity.


I snapped the above picture while I was sewing last night. The cookie is chocolate chip from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc At Home. I like to keep balls of cookie dough frozen so I can have freshly baked cookies on a whim. This has the added bonus that other members of the family don't scoff all the cookies because they don't realise they are in the freezer and if they do have absolutely no idea how to bake them. This recipe is pretty fab. It has two kinds of chocolate (50% and 70%) and the cookies are deliciously chewy. You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment