Monday, February 7, 2011

bananarama...



I'm a little ashamed to say that when cyclone Yasi hit my first thoughts were not for the victims but rather for the banana crops.  I'm trying to make the most of the last cheap bananas - making banana chips and big batches of banana bread for the freezer.  While I was baking my husband announced that he doesn't like banana cake.  Then he tasted it and since then he has single handedly consumed nearly two loaves.  So far I haven't managed to save any for the freezer - it is virtually being inhaled as it comes out of the oven.  The recipe is from Bill Granger's Feed me now! (shoot me an email or comment if you want the recipe).

In other news… Minty's birthday is on Sunday and I'm somewhat disorganised.  I still haven't settled on a cake or finished making her presents.  We're planning on camping out for the night.  Initially we were going to go to Wilson's Prom but since then we have chickened out and are now aiming for a backyard camp out.  Frankly I was a little worried about the smallest member of the family staging a runaway given his current obsession with escaping.  It does feel like a bit of a cop out (or as King Julian would say like we're all a bunch of pansies), but I'm guessing that Minty will be pretty thrilled with sleeping outside regardless of the location.  

And while we're on the topic of camping - has anyone ever tried s'mores??  Never having eaten a s'more I fear that, much like cheesy fries, they will not translate for the Australian palate.  And yet I am curious what all the fuss is about.  There is even such a thing as a giant s'more cake.  To s'more or not to s'more that is the question.

3 comments:

  1. Banana's with children in the house? Seriously? Bad parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ashamed to say I had the same thoughts when I saw pictures of flattened banana crops on the news! What will I eat for an afternoon snack?

    PS. Bill Granger is a legend - we have 'Bill's Basics' and everything we've cooked from it has been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bananas for the kids are GREAT. It can stay in your handbag, survive and be eaten with a lot more cleanliness compared to a pear. But geez, the prices have already gone up and I don't think we'll be seeing one in our household for a while.
    OH MY GOSH SMORES!! YUM.
    If you love marshmallows, chocolate and those wheatie biscuits then you gotta try them TOGETHER. My mum used to make them for me when I was young. She's not american. I don't know how she got onto it. Maybe through her american penpals or cause she did Tupperware? (it's american.) Who knows. But you must try it.
    I've been doing a sneak shortcut way by putting a marshmallow on top of one of those buttersnap biscuits (or whatever you like really) in the microwave for about 10secs (or however long it takes for it to go poofy and melt.. you gotta watch it though) and then eat it .... all gooey and addictive. Mmmm....

    ReplyDelete