Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In which I use dramatic lighting to distract you from my ugly kitchen...

"Hang on a minute... is that buckwheat?!"

Turi finally had a decent nights sleep last night (11pm to 7am) so we had some celebratory pancakes for breakfast this morning. We had pretty much run out of plain flour so I used 2/3 buckwheat flour instead. It actually tasted pretty good. I have an extra healthy pancake recipe I use when I'm feeling holy (I'll share the recipe some other time) but this was a nice nod to health without being overwhelming.

Yes, you spotted it, that is the world's oldest stove.

I also made a last minute batch of pikelets with jam for the playgroup shared morning tea (which had completely slipped my mind until I bumped into one of the other mums at the shops).

In other kitchen news, I made my own mince meat from scratch yesterday. I recently got the grinder attachment for my KitchenAid mixer and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'd heard people say that once you try home made mince meat you'll never go back. True confession: it actually wasn't that great. It took a fair bit of time cutting the meat into chunks and feeding it into the grinder. I was expecting the taste to be vastly superior but frankly it wasn't. Maybe I should try a different cut of meat? Does anyone have any tips?

1 comment:

  1. I don't but since I'm paranoid about my cholesterol count, I would use topside with all the visible fat cut off. I have only ever minced cook beef for my infamous shepherd's pie! I would persevere if I were you. Maybe the better the cut, the better the mince. However that isn't so with casseroles. Chuck steak works better than more expensive cuts.

    ReplyDelete