Saturday, August 21, 2010

In which we fail to boat...

There was a little misunderstanding on the way to the polling booth today. It seems Minty thought we were going to 'boat'… "in the water", not to 'vote'. Needless to say she was somewhat disappointed when all we did was stand in a line and then post a slip of paper into a box.


For those of you who aren't interested in watching the most likely depressing election tally this evening I thought I'd share with you a few fun links...


Firstly I've fallen head over heals for vintage clothing patterns from the 1950s. I love the exquisite tailoring, the drape of fabrics - designs oozing romance and class. I love that these clothes come from an era when fashion did not equate to parading around in various states of undress. Blue Gardenia has some amazing vintage patterns (the site is a bit difficult to navigate but it's totally worth wading through).


In the same vein, you really must visit Gertie's new blog for better sewing. Gertie is working her way though Vogue's new book for better sewing from the 1950s. Some of the clothes are just divine. The pictures below are a couple from the book. (Is it just me or has this woman on the left had some ribs removed? Surely that waist isn't natural.)



I'm also crushing on these knitted baskets from Joelle's new book. I can just see them in the kid's room housing their socks.



Lastly I wanted to share this children's summer reading booklist over at Posie get's cozy. There are so many long forgotten old favourite's on the list, as well as books I've never heard of that I'm keen to track down.


2 comments:

  1. It is a great list with many of my favourites - some also by Robert McCloskey whose books I've always loved. I would add "Time of Wonder", especially for those who love island life. It was such a nice change to think about beautiful children's books tonight instead of politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back checking out your links! Teary moments as I visited the 60's patterns on Blue Gardenia. I was so lucky to be young then and to wear those lovely fashions. I used to whip up my own dresses on a Singer treadle machine with no finesse whatsoever. Other friends had mothers or sisters who really knew how to sew and they had some gorgeous things. I especially loved the little pill box hats a la Jackie Kennedy. . . nostalgia plus.

    ReplyDelete