Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Glitterrific failure...

This afternoon Minty and I decided to try and make our own glitter.  According to google this is a relatively easy task.  All you do is add a few drops of food colouring to some salt, mix it up, and then bake it on a tray lined with baking paper for 10mins at 175C.  Sadly our glitter was an epic failure.  It looked beautiful… until we put it in the oven.  Then it bubbled up, lost its sparkle and converged into a dull lumpy mess.  I suspect this is because we used epsom salts.  I did a quick experiment using sea salt and it seemed much more successful.  Oh well, you live and learn.  Minty didn't really care.  She had so much fun stirring together the colours and probably would have been content to do this for hours given the chance.  It was certainly a great way to fill in a rainy afternoon!



3 comments:

  1. ...Normal salt would have been my first choice, what I assume they intend to be used...maybe I'm just not as hippy as you are. ;-)

    Could you still dissolve the resultant Epsom salt-glitter in a bath? Could be pretty coloured...

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly I was only using the epsom salts because I didn't want to waste my nice, expensive flaked sea salt on a craft project and we had left over epsom salts from the last time we made bath salts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me want to go and have a bath with some of the salts you made for me! :)

    ReplyDelete